Update (11/1/2016): I am getting reports that the firmware *may* be officially available if you manually check for updates through the TV itself. I can’t confirm this as I already installed the firmware below on mine but try it out and let me know if they are pushing it out over the air.
With the current firmware the 50H8c and the 55H8C TVs do not support HDR10 playback. Below is the leaked firmware to enable full HDR10 support from all sources. This has been tested on both models and some H7 owners are reporting that it even enables HDR support on their sets as well. This firmware was obtained directly from HiSense support as of 10/4/2016.
I cannot confirm or endorse installing the firmware on ANY TV so this is at your own risk.
Now that the “it’s not my fault if you brick your TV” disclaimer is out of the way here is how you get your TV updated.
- Download the appropriate firmware for your TV size
- Locate the file ‘upgrade_loader.pkg’. Copy and paste this file into an EMPTY FAT32 formatted USB Stick.
- Please ensure that NOTHING ELSE is on the USB, ONLY the ‘upgrade_loader.pkg’ file.
- The file must be named ‘upgrade_loader.pkg’. If it is not named that please rename the pkg file to ‘upgrade_loader.pkg’.
- Safely Eject the USB from your PC by right clicking on the USB (on your Desktop or in your My Computer) and selecting ‘Eject’, then unplug the USB from your PC.
- Turn OFF the Hisense TV.
- Plug the USB in to the TV’s top most USB port(located on the rear of the TV).
- Press and hold the POWER button on the Hisense TV Remote Control, once you see “Software updating…” appear on the screen you may RELEASE the power button.
- Please wait and let the Software Update process finish.
- The Software Update Process will complete without any further user interaction.
- The Process should take between 5-8 minutes.
- DO NOT turn OFF the TV during this process.
- When the update is complete, the “Software updating…” Screen will disappear and the TV will come up as it normally does.
- Remove the USB from the back of the TV.
And now your TV is updated!